Online request service for overlap relief information

In anticipation of the transition to a tax year basis of taxation for Income Tax from 2024/25 (for more details, see here) affected taxpayers must claim any remaining overlap relief to offset against their trading profits in 2023/24.

Taxpayers may already know how much overlap profit they are carrying forward as they are including it on their Self Assessment returns. However, if the taxpayer (or their agent) does not have that information, a new online service is now available to ask HMRC for the information it holds.

The information required to make a request includes:

  • taxpayer name
  • name or description of the taxpayer’s business (or both)
  • the business address
  • the taxpayer’s unique taxpayer reference (UTR) plus the partnership’s UTR if the business is part of a partnership
  • whether the business is a sole trader or partnership
  • the date the self-employment business began or the date the taxpayer joined the partnership (or the tax year if exact date unknown)
  • the most recent period of account or basis period used
  • the year or years that the accounting period changed (where applicable)
  • whether the response should be sent by letter or email and the contact details for the response

HMRC will acknowledge the request by letter or email and then endeavour to respond within three weeks, but complex cases may take longer.

The service is not available to trusts, estates, or non-resident companies with trading income. These groups should contact HMRC to find out how to obtain their overlap relief figure.

The online service can be accessed from Alternatively, your usual DSG contact will be pleased to assist with making a request if needed.